Thursday, November 8, 2007

Zotac Geforce 8800GT with custom cooling system

31 October 2007 Low Yat Plaza Day

Blogging this due to my free time during Deepavali holiday, I am off from work for 5 days starting from today till next Monday.

I went down to KL to buy my graphic card, I am very into computer gaming therefore I need a graphic card to run the resolution of games @ 1280*1024 with both 4xAA and 16xAF on. I was gonna settle for Geforce 8800GTS 640mb at first. Fortunately, Geforce 8800GT was released sometime before a week ago at a lower price and higher performance.

Image on my left:

Zotac Geforce 8800GT
I bought this graphic card from C-Zone for RM880. There are no game bundles or anything special other than the plain vanilla graphic card.

However, the stock reference cooler was annoyingly loud @ 60-100% fan speed. In addition to that, the card temperature was far too high for my liking. (ie. idle 53-55c and load at 68-70c)


3 November 2007 Digimall Shopping Day

On weekend, I purchased the following items from Digimall to modify this graphic card.

The image on my left:

Zalman Fatality FC-ZV9


I bought the following materials:
1. Zalman Fatality FC-ZV9= RM170
2. Zalman Super Thermal Grease ZM-STG1= RM33
3. Vizo Copper Heatsink = RM50

Total cost = RM253.00

Suffice to say, it was anywhere cheap but a small price to pay for silence gaming. Sorry I can't be bother taking a photo of my modified gpu as it is in my gaming rig.

The results from doing so is Zalman Fatality FC-ZV9 fan at full speed was quieter than stock fan at 60%. Temperature ranges from Idle 39-44c to Load 48-52c. Great improvement, now I can game in peace.

Peace all, I am gonna do some gaming.

No comments: